Why is my dog’s tummy upset?
Some causes of upset digestion include:
- Low quality ingredients
- Dietary intolerance and allergies
- Excess protein and fat
What type of diet do I look for?
- Hypo-allergenic, natural, containing wholegrains such as brown rice or wholegrain maize
- A simple recipe with a single protein source
- Lower in protein and fat
- Free from additives
- Highly digestible (less waste)
What diet should I choose for an upset tummy?
Burns Sensitive Pork and potato is a good starting point being highly digestible and made with novel ingredients which are less likely to cause a dietary reaction.
Other varieties to try…
- Check with your vet to rule out other possible causes.
- Undergo an elimination diet to rule out certain ingredients
- Keep to the same diet for around 12 weeks unless we advise otherwise.
- Avoid beef, wheat and dairy – 70+% of food intolerance in dogs.
- Look for novel ingredients- ones your dog hasn’t eaten before.
- Feed sparingly, overfeeding can cause upset tummies.
- Avoid treats, dental chews and table scraps – vegetables are OK.
- Every dog is an individual, a food may suit one dog but not another.