Ditch the Itchy – dogs with itchy skin are soothed by natural food free from common allergens.
Itchy skin is very common issues in dogs and can be caused by many things. The best approach to managing the overall health of your dog is to choose the right food that is suited to their skin so that your pooch can ditch the itch. This advice is not to replace that of a vet but we can say that this food is suited to dogs with itchy skin complaints.
Itchy skin is a common complaint in dogs where your dog could be seen self-scratching, licking, chewing and biting. John Burns Vet Surgeon and founder of Burnspet.co.uk says ‘Itchy skin is often the first sign that things are going wrong in the pet’s system.’ where causes include:
- poor quality food
- food intolerance
- excess protein & fat
- toxic waste build-up
Keep things simple. Find a natural, wholesome food diet, high in complex carbohydrates especially wholegrains like brown rice, low in protein and fat and free from additives.
- avoid beef, wheat and dairy – these account for 70+% of food intolerance in dogs
- know every dog is different – e.g. one may not suit chicken but do well on duck
- do an elimination diet – stick to a straightforward diet you can monitor
- avoid treats and table scraps – but vegetables are OK
- Ask your vet to check your dog’s anal glands, even if there is no sign of a problem – a fast track way of removing toxins that could be aggravating skin problems
- Try to increase exercise your dog gets – use up excess calories and increase circulation to help discharge waste
- In cases of chronic or recurring skin disorders, dogs and cats are often diagnosed or suspected of being allergic to multiple food ingredients, grass, fleas, house mites, chemicals in the diet, furnishings and so on – seek the advice of an expert here.