Everywhere has its tales, stories and fables along with an interesting history. So, what about the home of Burns Pet Nutrition? Kidwelly is blessed with the beautiful Carmarthenshire countryside, mountains, coast and a stunning Norman castle. But what lies in the history books about Kidwelly and the surrounding area?
Fun facts about Kidwelly
- Kidwelly Castle was used in the 1975 film, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Kidwelly even has a nursery rhyme written about it called “Hen Fenyw Fach Cydweli” – The Dear Old Lady of Kidwelly.
- In ancient documents, there are numerous recordings of Kidwelly’s name and its different spellings: Cadwely, Catwelli, Kadewly, Keddewelly, Kadwelve and Kedwelle.
- There have been many ghost sightings in Kidwelly Castle. It has even appeared on popular TV show, Most Haunted!
- The historic town has a rich industrial background. Kidwelly had its own brickworks, tinplate works, lime kilns, butter factory and mining.
- Kidwelly has its fair share of unsolved murder mysteries. Eek!
- The castle dates to the 12th century and would originally have been a ‘Ringwork’ castle made from wood and protected by an earthen bank and ditch. This was built by the Norman following their conquest of West Wales.
- In 1993, a pioneering pet food brand was born in Kidwelly. The award-winning pet food, Burns Pet Nutrition, was voted Britain’s Favourite dog food in 2022 and was named The Telegraph’s Best Buy in 2023!