If you’re looking for a great treat for your senior dog, these Fish and Cucumber Dog Biscuits are tasty, healthy and full of the good stuff. Fish contains omega-3, which is anti inflammatory, and great for your dog’s coat and skin; while cucumber is low in calories, high in Vitamin K, and contains phytonutrients and anti-inflammatories.
Here’s everything you need to create your own Senior Dog Treats:
- 225g gluten free flour
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil
- 75g cucumber
- 1 fish stock cube (make sure it’s gluten free, and low salt)
- 50ml boiling water
You will need
- Measuring jug
- Weighing scales
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutter of choice, small/medium in size
- Electric mixer with a dough hook attachment (can be mixed by hand if not)
- Baking trays
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- In a measuring jug, add the 50ml of boiling water along with 1 fish stock cube. Stir until dissolved.
- Add 225g of GF flour to a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add 1 medium egg, and 1 tbs of rapeseed oil.
- Mix the ingredients together, either in an electric mixer with the dough hook, or alternatively by hand. Until the mixture slightly resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Chop up the cucumber into small cubes. And add into measuring jug with the fish stock.
- Blend the fish stock and cucumber together with a blender.
- Add the fish and cucumber mixture to the flour.
- Mix until it starts to resemble a dough. (You may need to add either flour or water to the mixture to get the right dough consistency, as it depends on the water content of the cucumber used)
- Prepare your work surface; sprinkle down some flour.
- Roll out the dough onto the surface to 1cm thickness, making sure that it hasn’t stuck to the surface.
- Use your cookie cutter of choice to cut out the biscuits, and place on a baking tray.
- Place in the oven for roughly 40 minutes, turning the tray around half way through to ensure even cook.
- Pull out of the oven once a golden brown colour is achieved.
- Leave to cool, and let your pooch turn into Paul Hollywood testing out your bake!
For free help and advice on Senior nutrition when you need it, contact our friendly and informative nutrition team today.